- 7 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
- confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease bottom of 15 ½ by 10 ½ by 1 inch jelly roll pan. Then line the bottom only with parchment or wax paper.
- Separate egg yolks into one bowl and egg whites into another.
- At high speed with electric mixer beat egg whites just until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Gradually and slowly beat in 1/3 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Meringue will be shiny.
- With same beater, at high speed, beat egg yolks for a minute. Gradually add remainder of the sugar. Beat until thick and lemon colored- 4-5 minutes. At low speed gradually beat in cocoa and extracts just until combined.
- With wire whisk or rubber scraper, gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites until well combined.
- Turn into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake 12-14 minutes, just until surface springs back when gently pressed with finger.
- Meanwhile, onto clean towel, sift confectioners in a 16 x 11 rectangle.
- When cake is done, immediately run knife carefully along edges. Then turn out the cake onto the sugar surface of the towel.
- Starting along the long edge, roll up cake in towel, jelly-roll fashion. (Cake tends to crack slightly when rolled, so be careful). Place seam side down, until cool, at least 1 hour.
- When ready to fill, beat whip cream. Once stiff at sugar to taste.
- Gently unroll cake. Fill with whip cream and re-roll.
- Sprinkle top with sifted powder sugar.
- Place seam side down on serving plate. Cut off ends at an angle.
- If you like you can decorate top with additional whipping cream and chocolate curls*.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour
*To make chocolate curls: Let square of chocolate warm to room temperature. With vegetable parer, scrape along chocolate to make thin curls or shavings.