Some people are natural chefs, while others need to learn the tricks of the trade. Here are our sweet seven helpful cooking tips for any chef:
1. Chilled Onions Avoid Tears: Chill an onion in the refrigerator before cutting to avoid crying when cutting.
2. Corn Starch Thickens Sauces: If soups or sauces are runny while cooking, add corn starch or flour to the pot. It is crucial you mix the corn starch or flour with water first so its dissolved before putting in the pot. If you don’t do that, you will have lumps.
3. Fresh Apples with Citrus: No more brown apples or pears. Simply toss the cut slices with a little citrus juice.
4. Round Dishes Cook Faster in Microwaves: When cooking in the microwave, round dishes are better than square or rectangle dishes as they spread heat faster.
5. Remove Stem for Fresher Chilis: If you remove the stem from a chili before refrigerating, you will have a fresher product for longer.
6. Sugar Brightens Green Vegetables: When cooking green vegetables, add a pinch of sugar so they maintain their bright green color.
7. Use Carrots to Sweeten your Sauces: Try sweetening your sauces carrots instead of sugar. It’s healthier too!